Boredom can be a funny thing. I’ll always remember this quote by Viggo Mortensen that I read a few years back:
There’s no excuse to be bored. Sad, yes. Angry, yes. Depressed, yes. Crazy, yes. But there’s no excuse for boredom, ever.
Do you find yourself bored? feeling lazy? unmotivated? scared? jealous?
I think this is because we live in extremes. Our sense of adventure is skewed. If it’s not huge, not a grand decision, then it’s not an adventure.
Truth bomb: Sometimes I get this feeling, like I am boring, or that people won’t want to be with me because of this. This can be scary, and a long road into anonymity. And then I realize that all I need to do is notice and live in my adventures.
This doesn’t have to been a grande trip to the other side of the world, or conquering the business world within the next three months. But tiny, microscopic adventures from the inside out. Little moments that take my breath away.
For me this can include:
- giving a stranger an unexpected compliment
- washing someone’s dishes when they can’t
- making someone a special healthy treat just because
- trying a new superfood in my smoothie!
- taking my yoga mat onto the grass and stretching
- just simply being in nature – it gives me SO much life
- staring up into the sky on a clear night and becoming overfilled with wonder, joy and amazement
- enjoy a life giving meal with a loved one
- sunset walks/hikes
- driving to the mountains just because
- having a bath with essential oils, salts and music
- reading a really good book with a cup of tea
There are many more but these are the ones that came to me this moment!
Everyone moment can be an adventure if we allow it. It is CHOICE to make it so.
The large sweeping gestures are not the adventure, the small moment-by-moment steps are: the thrill of being able to shift your focus, the smile that can change your mood, and the realization that we’re all on the same side.
There is NOTHING more beautiful then being present, accepting who you are in this moment, and sharing it with the world. Greatness doesn’t lie in the grand gestures but the small, everyday ones. That is a fact. We can take the most mundane tasks and make them electric and turn them into fireworks.
We all have daily tasks that seem like a chore, but what if we turned those around and truly made them GREAT. Helping out strangers, smiling, calling a friend for a five minute virtual high-five…whatever it is. If our days are filled with fireworks, then they or we will never be boring.
Be present, be you, and share your love and joy with every. single. person.
There is no excuse to be bored.